- APA 7th editionToggle Dropdown
- APA - 6th editionToggle Dropdown
- Chicago: Notes and Bibliography
- Chicago: Author-DateToggle Dropdown
- HarvardToggle Dropdown
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (JRAI) StyleToggle Dropdown
- MHRA Footnotes versionToggle Dropdown
- MHRA - Author Date StyleToggle Dropdown
- MLAToggle Dropdown
- Royal Society of ChemistryToggle Dropdown
- VancouverToggle Dropdown
- Referencing something mentioned in another source (Secondary Referencing)
Referencing translated works
Where a work has an original author or editor and has been translated, you need to include the details of the author/editor and the translator. You only include details of the translator in the bibliography.
Shortened footnote or endnote:
Note Number. Author Surname, Short Title, Page.
12. Zhmud, Pythagoras , 118.
Entry in a bibliography:
Author Surname, First Name. Title. Translated by First Name Surname. Place: Publisher, Year.
Zhmud, Leonid. Pythagoras and the Early Pythagoreans. Translated by Kevin Winder and Rosh Ireland. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
Name order - note that the format for the translator's name is First Name Surname.
- Last Updated: May 4, 2023 12:54 PM
- URL: https://libguides.st-andrews.ac.uk/Referencing_styles
- Print Page
University of St Andrews Library
Service Desk: +44 (0)1334 46 2331