- APA 7th editionToggle Dropdown
- APA - 6th editionToggle Dropdown
- Chicago: Notes and BibliographyToggle Dropdown
- Chicago: Author-DateToggle Dropdown
- HarvardToggle Dropdown
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (JRAI) StyleToggle Dropdown
- MHRA Footnotes versionToggle Dropdown
- MHRA - Author Date StyleToggle Dropdown
- MLAToggle Dropdown
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- VancouverToggle Dropdown
- Referencing something mentioned in another source (Secondary Referencing)
How to reference a book
You reference chapters in edited books in the same way regardless of format. Examples are given for print and ebooks just to illustrate this. Where an ebook doesn't give page numbers, but the chapter has a doi (digital object identifier) this can be used in place of the page numbers.
The reference list entry for a chapter in an edited book should contain:
- In-text reference number
- Author information for the chapter, in the format of Initial(s). Surname with all authors of the chapter listed in the order they are given, followed by in
- Title of the book (italicised)
- Followed by ed. Initial(s). Surname of the editor(s)
- Place of Publication
- The abbreviation ch. for chapter, and the chapter number
- Page range.
All components are followed by a comma, except for the page range which is followed by a full-stop.
(3) Initial. Surname, in Book title, ed. Initial. Surname, Publisher, Place, Year, ch. no, pp. x-xx.
(3) G.W. Daughdrill, in Instrumental Analysis of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins, ed. V.N. Uversky and S. Longhi, Wiley, Hoboken, 2010, ch. 5, pp.107-129.
- Instrumental Analysis of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins by V. N. Uversky and S. LonghiISBN: 9780470343418Publication Date: 2010
(4) S. Schultz, S. Goring, B. Schmidt and C. Hoft, in Emerging Drugs and Targets for Parkinson's Disease, ed. A. Martinez and C. Gil, Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, 2014, ch. 11, pp. 266-293.
- Emerging Drugs and Targets for Parkinson's Disease by A. Martinez and C. GilISBN: 9781849736176Publication Date: 2013
- Last Updated: May 4, 2023 12:54 PM
- URL: https://libguides.st-andrews.ac.uk/Referencing_styles
- Print Page
University of St Andrews Library
Service Desk: +44 (0)1334 46 2331