What you need to include and types of books
- Components of a book reference
- Sample - Print Book
- Sample - E-book
- Punctuation and format of a reference
(Esgate et al., 2005, p. 42)
Reference list entry:
Esgate, A., Groome, D., & Baker, K. (2005). An introduction to applied cognitive psychology. Psychology Press.
DOIs and URLs:
- If an ebook has a DOI give this;
- If an ebook has a DOI and a URL give the DOI;
- If an ebook has no DOI use the URL only when the URL will resolve for the reader (copy the URL you have)
- If an ebook has a URL which won't resolve for the reader don't include it, treat the ebook in the same way as a print book. E.g.This will be the case for ebooks on the EBSCO platform). Check the links within your word document to see if they resolve.
(Boutang & De Lara, 2016, p. 68)
Reference list entry:
Boutang, J., & De Lara, M. (2016). The biased mind: how evolution shaped our psychology including anecdotes and tips for making sound decisions. Springer. https://link-springer-com.ezproxy.st-andrews.ac.uk/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-16519-6
- Ensure you include all the punctuation required in your reference.
- For multiple authors follow the advice in the Author Rules tab, paying attention to the use of commas, ampersand, and ellipses. Surname is followed with a comma, a space, then the initials. No space is given between initials when more than one is needed for an author's forename.
- (Date) is always within parenthesis, and followed with a "."
- Title is always italicised, edition statement, where needed, is added in parenthesis and abbreviated, eg. (2nd ed.) and followed with a "."
- For print resources a full-stop is given at the end of the reference.
- For e-books provide the doi or URL, only provide a URL when it will resolve, if the link won't resolve treat the ebook in the same way as a print book. No full-stop is used when you enter a DOI or a URL.
- The second and subsequent lines of each reference should be indented.
- The reference list should be double line spaced.
APA basic book reference example step-by-step
- Last Updated: Nov 20, 2023 4:02 PM
- URL: https://libguides.st-andrews.ac.uk/Referencing_styles
- Print Page
University of St Andrews Library
Service Desk: +44 (0)1334 46 2331