Manuscript collections: Botany
This collection consists of teaching and research material from the Botany Department of the University of St Andrews, and papers and specimens from Scottish botanists including William Buist, Charles Howie, W C McIntosh, R A Robertson, W B Ogilvie, Ellis Crapper, John Colville, W Boulinger and J A Terass.
A large part of the botany deposit is formed by the papers of John Hardie Wilson (1858-1920), lecturer in Botany from 1887-1890 and lecturer in Agriculture and Rural Economy, from 1900-1920. A noted practical agriculturalist and botanist, Wilson was primarily responsible for the foundation of the St Andrews Botanical Garden, and was respected as a plant hybridologist throughout the UK, Europe and the USA.
The collection includes lecture notes, mounted botanical specimens, teaching slides, field notebooks, photographs and a large collection of botanical drawings used for teaching, as well as items on the history of the University botanical garden.