Referencing Software: Mendeley
Using Mendeley in PC classrooms
1. Sign-in to Mendeley from the desktop: go to Start / All programmes / Common / Mendeley Desktop.
2. Install Word Plugin: make sure Word is closed; go to Tools in Mendeley Desktop; click Install MS Word Plugin. You can find the Mendeley plugin under REFERENCES in Word.
3. Installing the Mendeley Web Importer
- To install the Web Importer on the toolbar in Chrome, Firefox or Opera in your Browser go to https://www.mendeley.com/reference-management/web-importer/ and follow the onscreen instructions.
- To install the Web Importer in Internet Explorer (IE): open Internet Explorer; right-click in the grey area at the top of the IE window; click Favourites bar from the options; go to https://www.mendeley.com/reference-management/web-importer/ login and drag the grey Save to Mendeley button up to the Favourites bar.
- Please note that it is not currently possible to install the Toolbar on the Edge browser on University PCs.
4. Sync desktop and online accounts, if needed.
Why use Mendeley?
Mendeley helps you to store your PDFs, organise and save your references and create bibliographies in different styles.
Mendeley combines web based and desktop software and can be downloaded free.
You can synch your online database of references to those on your computer so can access your references wherever you are at any computer.
Our Mendeley quick guide
Importing Documents into your Library (Mendeley Minute)
Generating Citations with the MS Word and OpenOffice Plug-ins (Mendeley Minute)
Importing batches of records into Mendeley
To export more than one reference at a time follow the following steps. Please note that the instructions vary from databases to database and it may not always be successful.
- Mark the records you want to save. This is usually done by clicking on a tick box next to each reference or by adding them to a folder. If you have a large number of records they may have to be added in batches by specifying number runs, eg 1-499.
- Find the export button and choose to export to RIS format.
If you are using your own computer:
- OPEN the RIS file, the records should automatically open in Mendeley
If you are using the University Desktop
- SAVE the RIS file (and remember where you have saved it!)
- Go into Mendeley Desktop and select the drop down arrow next to the Add Files button and choose Add File and then locate your downloaded file. Alternatively, you can choose the Import option from the File Menu and select the RIS option.