History: General Resources
Guide to Resources in History
Other useful subject guides & pages
- International History and International RelationsDesigned for the IR International History Module, includes information on primary sources for WWI and Special Collections
- NewspapersInformation on print and electronic newspapers, both current and archives.
- Open AccessIntroduction to open access publishing and how to find open access resources
- Referencing SoftwareA guide to using software that helps you save your references and format them in the appropriate style for writing essays and dissertations.
- Remote Access to Online Resources This link opens in a new windowHow to access journals, e-books and databases off campus
- ThesesHow to find and or request a St Andrews thesis; information on locating UK and international theses and how to deposit electronic and print copies of your St Andrews thesis
- United Kingdom Parliamentary PublicationsThe University Library's guide to a wide range of UK Parliamentary Publications in both print and electronic formats.
Other useful resources
- Box of Broadcasts This link opens in a new windowBoB is Learning on Screen’s on demand TV and radio service for education; Users can record programmes from over 65 free-to-air channels and an extensive archive of tv and radio broadcasts. You can create and share playlists and clips. NB: BoB is NOT AVAILABLE outside the UK.
- Chicago Manual of Style Online This link opens in a new windowprovides authoritative guidance on citing sources, reference formats, grammar and usage, and on how to deal with punctuation, names, numbers, tables, quotations, dialogue, spelling, abbreviations, etc for Chicago-style citation
- History Data Services"collects, preserves, and promotes the use of digital resources, which result from or support historical research, learning and teaching"
- Naxos Music Library This link opens in a new windowdigital sound database - 'the world's most comprehensive collection of classical music online' - containing the complete Naxos, Marco Polo and Da Capo catalogues and titles from 50 other labels; allows streamed access to over 75,000 CDs with more than 1 million tracks. Over 800 CDs are added monthly; 7 concurrent-user access
Not in the Library?
Can't find what you are looking for in the Library? There are a number of options available:
- Inter Library LoansIf we don't have a book or journal in stock we can get it for you.
- MorebooksAre there not enough copies of a book in stock? Would you like the Library to buy a book for your dissertation? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will consider your suggestion.
- SCONUL Accessallows you to use a limited number of services at University Libraries in the UK. Complete the online form from http://www.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access.
Further information is available from the British Library website and instructions on how to obtain a Reader Pass can be found here