How to access dictionaries and other reference works online or in the Library.
How to access dictionaries
How to access Dictionaries online and in the Library
We have an extensive collection of dictionaries, search the Library collections to find them in the Library or online.
Search the Library
Dictionaries in the Library
You can find the orint dictionaries by searching using the box above.
Please contact us with suggestions of titles to add to our collection of dictionaries. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Dictionaries / Collections
The Library provides access to a range of dictionaries and encyclopedias, these are listed below:
- Cambridge Companions OnlineYou can access the complete Cambridge Companions series including The Cambridge Companions to Literature and Classics.
- Cambridge Histories OnlineYou can access the complete Cambridge Histories Online series, which includes The Cambridge History of English Literature.
- CREDO ReferenceOver 544 major reference books - dictionaries, encyclopaedias, thesauri, books of quotations, atlases and subject-specific titles covering everything from arts to astronomy, science to Shakespeare. Contains over three million entries, 60,000 images, 90,000 interactive maps and 180,000 audio pronunciation files.
- Dictionary of Medieval Latin from British Sources online This link opens in a new windowThe Dictionary of Medieval Latin from British Sources (DMLBS) is the most comprehensive dictionary of Medieval Latin, and the first to focus on British Medieval Latin.
- Dictionary of Old English Web Corpus This link opens in a new windowbased on a computerized Corpus comprising at least one copy of each text surviving in Old English
- Encyclopedia of the Life SciencesELS contains over 4,700 specially commissioned, peer-reviewed articles written by leading international scientists. Over 6,000 illustrations and photographs are included, as well as dictionaries, multimedia, glossary terms, extensive links to scientific resources, workgroup and personalisation features.
- Oxford Art Online This link opens in a new windowsearchable access to the entire text of Grove Art Online, The Oxford Companion to Western Art, Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, and The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms. Please note that our subscription does not provide access to Benezit Dictionary of Arts.
- Oxford dictionary of literary termsE-book, if you have problems accessing this off campus, please see this guide: http://libguides.st-andrews.ac.uk/content.php?pid=351662&sid=2880900#10086856
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography This link opens in a new windowa database of men and women who have shaped British history and culture, worldwide, from the Romans to the 21st century. Over 58,500 people included
- Oxford Language Dictionaries This link opens in a new windowArabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Oxford Music Online This link opens in a new windowsearchable access to the entire text of Grove Music Online, the Encyclopedia of Popular Music, The Oxford Companion to Music, and The Oxford Dictionary of Music, as well as timelines, biographies, guides, images and other research resources. Updated regularly
- Oxford Reference This link opens in a new windowa collection of over 125 core academic subject, language, and quotations dictionaries
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged (via LION) This link opens in a new windowAmerica’s premier lexicographical work. Comprising over 450,000 vocabulary definitions, each with etymological and phonological descriptions.
- Who's Who and Who Was Who This link opens in a new windowa directory of the noteworthy and influential in every area of public life, published worldwide. Who Was Who includes 100,000 people, now deceased, who were included in previous editions of Who's Who creating the definitive roll-call of British history.